Origin of wooden
SynonymsSee more synonyms for wooden on Thesaurus.com
3. expressionless, vacant, lifeless, impassive.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for woodenly
Gordon hesitated, and then swung off woodenly to take up his new beat.
He climbed in woodenly, leaving his helmet on as he saw the broken window.
She was trembling with eagerness, but the station agent stood on my other side, and he was woodenly stolid.The Mistress of Bonaventure
But he has an exalted notion of the value of things, and, moreover, he is woodenly conservative.Through Arctic Lapland
They remained wilfully, not to say woodenly, the young bridal pair of that romance, without the promise of novel functioning.The March Family Trilogy, Complete
William Dean Howells
- made from or consisting of wood
- awkward or clumsy
- bereft of spirit or animationa wooden expression
- obstinately unyieldinga wooden attitude
- mentally slow or dull
- not highly resonanta wooden thud
- (tr) Australian slang to fell or kill (a person or animal)
Word Origin and History for woodenly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper