- characterized by or given to the use of many, or too many, words; verbose: She grew impatient at his wordy reply.
- pertaining to or consisting of words; verbal.
Origin of wordy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for wordy on Thesaurus.com
1. diffuse, talkative, loquacious, voluble. Wordy, prolix, redundant, pleonastic all mean using more words than necessary to convey a desired meaning. Wordy, the broadest and least specific of these terms, may, in addition to indicating an excess of words, suggest a garrulousness or loquaciousness: a wordy, gossipy account of a simple incident. Prolix refers to speech or writing extended to great and tedious length with inconsequential details: a prolix style that tells you more than you need or want to know. Redundant and pleonastic both refer to unnecessary repetition of language. Redundant has also a generalized sense of “excessive” or “no longer needed”: the dismissal of redundant employees. In describing language, it most often refers to overelaboration through the use of expressions that repeat the sense of other expressions in a passage: a redundant text crammed with amplifications of the obvious. Pleonastic, usually a technical term, refers most often to expressions that repeat something that has been said before: “A true fact” and “a free gift” are pleonastic expressions.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for wordiness
Thence much of the wordiness of our written, if not spoken, composition.An Outline of English Speech-craft
And yet there is no noisiness, no wordiness, about them; nothing like rant or violence.Discipline
Often simply redundant, used from a mere habit of wordiness.The Elements of Style
Boys dislike fussiness, and wordiness, and beating about the bush.Sunday-School Success
Amos R. Wells
McGregor was so irritated by what he took to be the wordiness of the man that he could not restrain himself.Marching Men
- using, inclined to use, or containing an excess of wordsa wordy writer; a wordy document
- of the nature of or relating to words; verbal
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for wordiness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper