- abnormal dryness, as of the eye or skin.
- normal sclerosis of the tissue in an aged person.
Origin of xerosis
1885–90; xer- + -osis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for xerosis
Such a skin affection, known as icthyosis, xerosis or xeroderma, is usually due to heredity.Applied Eugenics
Paul Popenoe and Roswell Hill Johnson
- pathol abnormal dryness of bodily tissues, esp the skin, eyes, or mucous membranes
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Abnormal dryness, especially of the skin, eyes, or mucous membranes.
- The normal hardening of aging tissue.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.