- forming the possessive singular of nouns and some pronounsman's; one's
- forming the possessive plural of nouns whose plurals do not end in -schildren's
- forming the plural of numbers, letters, or symbols20's; p's and q's
- informal contraction of is or hashe's here; John's coming; it's gone
- informal contraction of us with letlet's
- informal contraction of does in some questionswhere's he live?; what's he do?
senses 1, 2: assimilated contraction from Middle English -es, from Old English, masculine and neuter genitive singular; sense 3, equivalent to -s 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012