- Botany. one of the small drupelets or berries of an aggregate, baccate fruit, as the blackberry.
- a berry, as a grape or currant.
- a minute rounded lobule.
- the smallest secreting portion of a gland.
Origin of acinus
1725–35; < Latin: grape, berry, seed of a berry
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- anatomy any of the terminal saclike portions of a compound gland
- botany any of the small drupes that make up the fruit of the blackberry, raspberry, etc
- botany obsolete a collection of berries, such as a bunch of grapes
C18: New Latin, from Latin: grape, berry
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Any of several minute grape-shaped secretory portions of an acinous gland.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.