- the transitional period between puberty and adulthood in human development, extending mainly over the teen years and terminating legally when the age of majority is reached; youth.
- the process or state of growing to maturity.
- a period or stage of development, as of a society, preceding maturity.
Origin of adolescence
Examples from the Web for adolescence
And that was the soul, very active in adolescence—like everything else.Martin Amis Talks About Nazis, Novels, and Cute Babies
Ronald K. Fried
October 9, 2014
The moral duties and doubts of adulthood are swapped out for the histrionic creeds of adolescence.Two New Films Preach Our Nation’s Corrosive Gridiron Gospel
September 20, 2014
Across the globe, millions of boys and girls are betrothed so young they spend the majority of their adolescence already married.The Sad Hidden Plight of Child Grooms
September 18, 2014
In adolescence they are reinforced by magazines, boyfriends, and the world around us.How the Ministry of Thin Enslaves Women
June 10, 2014
Four years after its emergence as a political force, the Tea Party is now coping with its adolescence.With Incumbents To Protect, The Tea Party Is Now Playing Defense
March 20, 2014
The urge of adolescence carries them away out of our detaining hands.Women's Wild Oats
C. Gasquoine Hartley
(e) The fourth period of education begins at fifteen, the period of adolescence.
Adolescence, the Gymnasium or Latin school, from twelve to eighteen.
But as this was at adolescence, the unrest of the youth should not be taken too seriously.Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great, Vol. 13
His smooth, rosy face had still the downy bloom of adolescence.The Squirrel-Cage
- the period in human development that occurs between the beginning of puberty and adulthood
Word Origin and History for adolescence
"age following childhood" (especially the period from the 15th to the 21st year), early 15c., from Middle French adolescence (14c.), from Latin adolescentia "youth," noun of state from adolescentem (see adolescent).
- The period of physical and psychological development from the onset of puberty to complete growth and maturity.
- The period of physical and psychological development from puberty to the onset of adulthood.