- a state of the United States in NW North America. 586,400 sq. mi. (1,519,000 sq. km). Capital: Juneau. Abbreviation: AK (for use with zip code), Alas.
- Gulf of, a gulf of the Pacific, on the coast of S Alaska.
Examples from the Web for alaskan
Hold the Dark is set in the Alaskan wilderness, in an isolated village at the lip of the tundra.Compliments Are Nice, but Enough With the Cormac McCarthy Comparisons
October 21, 2014
Lynette Clark, a leader of the Alaskan Independence Party, said that she was encouraged by the news of out of the Badger State.Wisconsin’s GOP Secession Panic
May 2, 2014
In the summer, though, Bettles sees more tourists who come to the fly-and-mosquito infested gateway into the Alaskan wilderness.Visiting the Arctic Circle…Before It’s Irreversibly Changed
Terry Greene Sterling
April 1, 2014
As she pulled products out of a camouflage makeup bag, the Alaskan Army vet said she misses George W. Bush.Vegan Strippers Let It All Hang Out
Kelly Williams Brown
March 29, 2014
He committed suicide in an Alaskan jail as he awaited trial.A Satanic Killer of 100 People? More Like One, Cops Think
February 20, 2014
In all Alaskan camps the ground is frozen and must be thawed down.
But the limitations of Alaskan conditions have shorn all profit from the enterprise.
The Chilkat blanket is an exception to the Alaskan Indian rule.Over the Rocky Mountains to Alaska
Charles Warren Stoddard
“The aristocracy of the Alaskan mining camp,” replied the officer.The Boy Scouts on the Yukon
And when I make the big Alaskan trip next year I want you to go along!Free Air
- of or relating to Alaska or its inhabitants
- a native or inhabitant of Alaska
- the largest state of the US, in the extreme northwest of North America: the aboriginal inhabitants are Inuit and Yupik; the earliest White settlements were made by the Russians; it was purchased by the US from Russia in 1867. It is mostly mountainous and volcanic, rising over 6000 m (20 000 ft), with the Yukon basin in the central region; large areas are covered by tundra; it has important mineral resources (chiefly coal, oil, and natural gas). Capital: Juneau. Pop: 648 818 (2003 est). Area: 1 530 694 sq km (591 004 sq miles)Abbreviation: Alas, (with zip code) AK
- Gulf of Alaska the N part of the Pacific, between the Alaska Peninsula and the Alexander Archipelago
Word Origin and History for alaskan
name first applied 18c. by Russian explorers, from Aleut alaxsxaq, literally "the object toward which the action of the sea is directed" [Bright]. Baked Alaska attested by 1896, so called either for its whiteness or from being cold inside.