- of or relating to Alsace or its inhabitants.
- of or relating to Alsatia.
- a native or inhabitant of Alsace.
- a resident or native of Alsatia.
- Also called Alsatian dog. Chiefly British. German shepherd.
Origin of Alsatian
1685–95; < Medieval Latin Alsati(a) Alsace + -an
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for alsatian
I left the station-master's office, and found the poor Alsatian waiting at the door.My Double Life
Jean herself had remarked the gaze of the Alsatian mountaineer.Two Penniless Princesses
Charlotte M. Yonge
His knock at the door was answered instantly by a young maid in Alsatian costume.A Set of Six
He was an Alsatian, but his English was perfectly easy to understand.John Gayther's Garden and the Stories Told Therein
Frank R. Stockton
This wily old Alsatian will tell you of all the sacrifices he made for the dear lad.The Champdoce Mystery
- Officially called: German shepherd, German shepherd dog a large wolflike breed of dog often used as a guard or guide dog and by the police
- a native or inhabitant of Alsace
- (in the 17th century) a criminal or debtor who took refuge in the Whitefriars area of London
- of or relating to Alsace or its inhabitants
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012