- a county in S Northern Ireland. 489 sq. mi. (1267 sq. km). County seat: Armagh.
- an administrative district in this county. 261 sq. mi. (676 sq. km).
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for armagh
And so it happens that the inhabitants of Armagh city are mostly Conservatives.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
Dreyer says (Nature, 44-541) that he had seen this object at the Armagh Observatory.The Book of the Damned
He must have been "elected" either while he was at Armagh or after he went to Bangor.
Thus he was now bishop of Armagh as well as coarb of Patrick.
But Malachy had no mind to spend the rest of his life at Armagh.
- a historical county of S Northern Ireland: in 1973 it was replaced for administrative purposes by the districts of Armagh and Craigavon. Area: 1326 sq km (512 sq miles)
- a district in Northern Ireland, in Co Armagh. Pop: 55 449 (2003 est). Area: 667 sq km (258 sq miles)
- a town in S Northern Ireland, in Armagh district, Co Armagh: seat of Roman Catholic and Protestant archbishops. Pop: 14 590 (2001)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012