- an act of arranging; state of being arranged.
- the manner or way in which things are arranged: a tactful arrangement of the seating at dinner.
- a final settlement; adjustment by agreement: The arrangement with the rebels lasted only two weeks.
- Usually arrangements. preparatory measures; plans; preparations: They made arrangements for an early departure.
- something arranged in a particular way: a floral arrangement; the arrangement of chairs for the seminar.
- the adaptation of a composition to voices or instruments, or to a new purpose.
- a piece so adapted.
- final arrangements, the planning or scheduling of funeral services and burial: Final arrangements are still pending.
Origin of arrangement
Examples from the Web for arrangements
Having passed the deadline to be embedded as a journalist, Mumford was forced to make other arrangements.Steve Mumford: The Artist Who Went to War
February 28, 2014
The most distinctive thing about Reflektor is the sound of it—the production, the arrangements, the rhythms.‘Reflektor’ Makes Arcade Fire the Biggest Band in the World
October 29, 2013
In between, he sewed up some other arrangements that gave shape to the peace effort.How the Chuck Hagel Fight Changed the American Jewish Landscape in Washington
J. J. Goldberg
August 20, 2013
For passengers, code-sharing agreements are largely invisible—these arrangements are not mergers between airlines.Delta Airlines Seeks to Buy Stake in Richard Branson’s Virgin Atlantic
December 3, 2012
That's the problem with these arrangements, and why Congress wanted to curtail them.Big Losses, Bigger Paychecks
November 19, 2012
No, that would take too long, and I have but an hour or two to make the arrangements.Life in London
The arrangements your father has made is one of provision against the unlikely.Weighed and Wanting
Our arrangements were made by two, and are hardly to be broken by one.The Bacillus of Beauty
Eileen's face was a tragedy when her uncle insisted on making the arrangements.Her Father's Daughter
Then, without comment, he glided out to reverse all his arrangements.The Leopard Woman
Stewart Edward White
- the act of arranging or being arranged
- the form in which things are arrangedhe altered the arrangement of furniture in the room
- a thing composed of various ordered parts; the result of arranginga flower arrangement
- (often plural) a preparatory measure taken or plan made; preparation
- an agreement or settlement; understanding
- an adaptation of a piece of music for performance in a different way, esp on different instruments from those for which it was originally composed
- an adaptation (of a play, etc) for broadcasting
Word Origin and History for arrangements
1727, from French arrangement, from arranger "arrange" (see arrange).