- a level, as a surface of mercury, used in determining the altitudes of stars.
- the bubble in a sextant or octant for aerial use.
- Also called flight indicator, gyro horizon. Aeronautics an instrument that indicates the banking and pitch of an aircraft with respect to the horizon.
Origin of artificial horizon
First recorded in 1795–1805
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Also called: gyro horizon an aircraft instrument, using a gyroscope, that indicates the aircraft's attitude in relation to the horizontal
- astronomy a level reflecting surface, such as one of mercury, that measures the altitude of a celestial body as half the angle between the body and its reflection
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012