- controlled digestion of damaged organelles within a cell.
- the maintenance of bodily nutrition by the metabolic breakdown of some bodily tissues.
Also au·toph·a·gy [aw-tof-uh-jee] /ɔˈtɒf ə dʒi/.
Origin of autophagia
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- The biting of one's own flesh.
- or au•toph•a•gy (ô-tŏf′ə-jē) The segregation and disposal of damaged organelles within a cell.
- or autophagy The maintenance of the nutrition of the whole body by metabolic consumption of some of the body tissues.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.