- separation of a body part.
- self-amputation of a damaged or trapped appendage.
- the performance of surgery upon oneself.
Origin of autotomy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for autotomy
- the casting off by an animal of a part of its body, to facilitate escape when attacked
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The spontaneous casting off of a body part, especially of an invertebrate, when injured or under attack.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.