- a brand of doll representing a slim, shapely young woman, especially one with blond hair, blue eyes, and fair skin.
- Also called Barbie doll. a person, especially a young woman, perceived as blandly attractive and vacuous.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- trademark a teenage doll with numerous sets of clothes and accessories
- slang, usually derogatory a superficially attractive but insipid young woman
- informal, mainly Australian short for barbecue
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for barbie doll
1959, trademark name (reg. U.S.). Supposedly named after the daughter of its creator, U.S. businesswoman Ruth Handler (1916-2002); see Barbara.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper