- an abnormal increase in the number of basophils in the blood, occurring in some types of leukemia, severe anemia, and other disorders.
Origin of basophilia
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an abnormal increase of basophil leucocytes in the blood
- the affinity of a biological specimen for basic dyes
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The affinity of cellular structures for basic dyes, such as methylene blue.
- An increase in the number of basophils in the circulating blood.basophilism
- An abnormal stippling of red blood cells with basic staining granules.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.