- any of several composite plants of the genus Bidens, having rayless yellow flowers and barbed achenes that cling to clothing.
- the achenes of these plants.
- any of several other plants having seeds or fruits that cling to clothing, as those of the genus Desmodium.
Origin of beggar-ticks
An Americanism dating back to 1850–55
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for beggar-ticks
It was overrun with Roman wormwood and beggar-ticks, which last stuck to my clothes for all fruit.Walden, and On The Duty Of Civil Disobedience
Henry David Thoreau
- any of various plants, such as the bur marigold and tick trefoil, having fruits or seeds that cling to clothing, fur, etc
- the seed or fruit of any of these plants
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012