- a city in and the capital of Belize, in the central part.
- Formerly British Honduras. a parliamentary democracy in N Central America: a former British crown colony; gained independence 1981. 8867 sq. mi. (22,966 sq. km). Capital: Belmopan.
- Also called Belize City. a seaport in and the main city of Belize.
- a river flowing NE through Belize to the Gulf of Honduras. 180 miles (290 km) long.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (since 1973) the capital of Belize, about 50 miles inland: founded in 1970. Pop: 10 000 (2005 est)
- a state in Central America, on the Caribbean Sea: site of a Mayan civilization until the 9th century ad; colonized by the British from 1638; granted internal self-government in 1964; became an independent state within the Commonwealth in 1981. Official language: English; Carib and Spanish are also spoken. Currency: Belize dollar. Capital: Belmopan. Pop: 334 297 (2013 est). Area: 22 965 sq km (8867 sq miles)Former name (until 1973): British Honduras
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012