[burk-lee-uh n, burk-lee-; especially British bahrk-lee-uh n, bahrk-lee-]
- pertaining or relating to George Berkeley or his philosophy.
- an advocate of the philosophy of George Berkeley, especially its denial of the existence of a material world.
Origin of Berkeleian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the philosophical system of George Berkeley, holding that objects exist only when perceived, that God's perception sustains the universe, and that there is no independent substratum or substance in which these perceptions inhere
- denoting or relating to the philosophy of George Berkeley
- a follower of his teachings
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012