- of or relating to St. Bernard of Clairvaux.
- of or relating to the Cistercians.
- a Cistercian.
- Also Ber·na·dine [bur-nuh-deen] /ˈbɜr nəˌdin/. a female given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bernardine
"The beautiful, pitiless stranger," sobbed Bernardine, catching her breath.
With slow steps Bernardine had re-entered her apartments again.
Jay's joy at beholding Bernardine was so great they almost feared for his life.
"There are some things that are better left untold," sobbed Bernardine.
"I should be thankful to take anything that offers itself," said Bernardine.
- a monk of one of the reformed and stricter branches of the Cistercian order
- of or relating to this branch of the Cistercians
- of or relating to Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012