- a provincial governor in the Ottoman Empire.
- (formerly) a title of respect for Turkish dignitaries.
- (formerly) the title of the native ruler of Tunis or Tunisia.
Origin of bey
Examples from the Web for bey
This is Bey and Nicki at their most lyrically masochistic, and boy, is it a treat.The 14 Best Songs of 2014: Bobby Shmurda, Future Islands, Drake, and More
December 31, 2014
Feel free to use this sort-of-sad break up as a practice run for the sure-to-be-devastating demise of Bey and Jay.Nick Cannon’s Not a Gigolo, But He Had Sex with Kim Kardashian
August 22, 2014
Bey's being accused of being a poor role model for young women?Elevator Music Beyoncé Doesn’t Want to Hear: Jay Z’s ‘Mistress’ Drops ‘Sorry Mrs. Carter’
August 8, 2014
In the wake of ‘elevatorgate,’ rumors have been swirling that Hova may have stepped out on Queen Bey.Did Beyoncé Just Accuse Jay Z of Cheating?
July 2, 2014
Another violent clip starring Bey and Jay was just released.Jay Z and Beyonce Release Epic, Violent New Short Film For 'On the Run' Tour
May 18, 2014
Yes, the great lady had come hither with her husband the Bey.It Happened in Egypt
C. N. Williamson
The horse was killed; the man is now a bey in the Pasha's service.
In Morocco I abducted the most beautiful damsel of the Bey from his harem.A Hungarian Nabob
Somebody had persuaded him to believe that I was urging the Bey to close the principality to him.
The Bey still keeps on good terms with me; but my credit is shaken.
- (in the Ottoman Empire) a title given to senior officers, provincial governors, certain other officials or nobles, and (sometimes) Europeans
- (in modern Turkey) a title of address, corresponding to Mr
Word Origin and History for bey
"governor of a Turkish district," 1590s, from Turkish bey, a title of honor, the Osmanli equivalent of Turkish beg.