- brilliant decoration or display: The wedding had all the blazonry of a coronation.
- the act or technique of describing coats of arms.
- a coat, or coats, of arms.
Origin of blazonry
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for blazonry
There is much Spanish blazonry also, if I could but read it.The White Company
Arthur Conan Doyle
Pathetic summer seeks by blazonry Of color to conceal her swift decrease.A Calendar of Sonnets
Helen Hunt Jackson
Blazonry—the representation of any heraldic Figure, Device, or Composition.The Handbook to English Heraldry
The heavens, with their blazonry, were to him as pictured parchments.The Fair God
This post, with its empty frame, was as significant as the art of blazonry could have made it.Mingo
Joel Chandler Harris
- the art or process of describing heraldic arms in proper form
- heraldic arms collectively
- colourful or ostentatious display
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012