- See under mockingbird(def 2).
- any of several gray, black, and white songbirds of the genus Mimus, especially M. polyglottos, of the U.S. and Mexico, noted for their ability to mimic the songs of other birds.
- any of various related or similar birds, as Melanotis caerulescens (blue mockingbird), of Mexico.
Origin of mockingbird
1670–80, Americanism; mocking + bird
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Australian any American songbird of the family Mimidae, having a long tail and grey plumage: noted for their ability to mimic the song of other birds
- a small scrub bird, Atrichornis rufescens, noted for its mimicry
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for blue mockingbird
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper