- any grass of the genus Poa, as the Kentucky bluegrass, P. pratensis, having dense tufts of bluish-green blades and creeping rhizomes.
- country music that is polyphonic in character and is played on unamplified stringed instruments, with emphasis especially on the solo banjo.
- the Bluegrass. Bluegrass Region.
Origin of bluegrass
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bluegrass
The law has been on the books in the Bluegrass State for a long time.How the Constitution May Screw Rand Paul for 2016
July 18, 2014
The Bluegrass State is eager to grow hemp for the purposes of research and commerce.Kentucky Tells Feds: Hands Off Our Hemp!
May 21, 2014
The race was called minutes after polls closed in the Bluegrass State.McConnell Easily Wins GOP Kentucky Senate Primary
May 20, 2014
Bluegrass Tea Partiers will need major reinforcements to even have a hope of defeating the veteran senator.Mitch McConnell Is Now Tea Party Enemy No. 1
October 18, 2013
Scotts Miracle Gro made a pest resistant Kentucky bluegrass in 2011 using the same technology.Plants That Glow in the Dark Spark Heated Debate
August 18, 2013
Where was the hilarious Sutler then with his bluegrass fertility of resource?The Army Mule and Other War Sketches
Henry A. Castle
They will do this on clover, orchard grass, bluegrass, and other tame grasses.
My bluegrass is yours, and your mountains are mine—and all the life of Kentucky is ours!The Code of the Mountains
Charles Neville Buck
There is no more of that, I reckon, in the bluegrass than there is here in the mountains.
He had no idea that the man had been a member of the party from the bluegrass.
- any of several North American bluish-green grasses of the genus Poa, esp P. pratensis (Kentucky bluegrass), grown for forage
- a type of folk music originating in Kentucky, characterized by a simple harmonized accompaniment
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for bluegrass
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.