- a person's self (used for emphasis or reflexively): One often hurts oneself accidentally.
- be oneself,
- to be in one's normal state of mind or physical condition.
- to be unaffected and sincere: One makes more friends by being oneself than by putting on airs.
- by oneself,
- without a companion; alone.
- through one's own efforts; unaided: to become a millionaire by oneself.
- come to oneself,
- Also come to.to regain consciousness.
- to regain one's self-possession; come to one's senses.
Origin of oneself
Word Origin and History for by oneself
1540s, one's self. Hyphenated 18c.; written as one word from c.1827, on model of himself, itself, etc.
Idioms and Phrases with by oneself
Alone, unaccompanied; also, unassisted. For example, She enjoyed being by herself much of the time, or Brian can pick up his toys by himself. [c. a.d. 1000]
see avail (oneself) of; be oneself; beside oneself; burn (oneself) out; by oneself; cover one's ass (oneself); crank (oneself) up; do oneself in; excuse me (oneself); exert oneself; explain oneself; express oneself; fall all over (oneself); feel like oneself; find oneself; flatter oneself; fling oneself at; forget oneself; full of oneself; get a grip on (oneself); give a good account of oneself; give of oneself; give (oneself) away; give oneself up; have oneself; hear oneself think; help oneself; keep to oneself; kick oneself; knock oneself out; law unto oneself; lay (oneself) open; leave (oneself) open; let (oneself) go; live with (oneself); lose oneself in; make a laughingstock of oneself; make a name for oneself; make an exhibition of oneself; make a nuisance of oneself; make a pig of oneself; make oneself at home; make oneself scarce; not oneself; paint oneself into a corner; plume oneself; pride oneself on; pull oneself together; pull oneself up; put oneself out; relieve oneself; repeat oneself; shift for oneself; shoot oneself in the foot; spread oneself too thin; suit oneself; sure of oneself; take it upon oneself; throw oneself at; tie oneself in knots; trouble one's head (oneself) about.