- mildly cold or producing a sensation of cold; causing shivering; chill: a chilly breeze.
- feeling cold; sensitive to cold: Her hands were chilly.
- without warmth of feeling; cool: a chilly reply.
- producing or likely to produce a feeling of fear; frightening: He told a chilly story of ghosts and murder.
- Also chill·i·ly. in a chill manner: The wind blew chilly.
Origin of chilly
1. See cold.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for chilly
I gingerly walked down the center staircase and out into what was a chilly, sunny October morning.I Was Gang Raped at a UVA Frat 30 Years Ago, and No One Did Anything
December 16, 2014
By Alex Orlov for Life by DailyBurn Do dark, chilly days make your mood cloud over this time each year?9 Ways to Cope With Seasonal Affective Disorder
December 5, 2014
She speaks with chilly precision, “in the tone that a bored but tolerant adult might use.”American Dreams: A Best-Selling Pint-Sized Psychopath
June 29, 2014
In the past, her character has tended toward the two-dimensional: the chilly villainess.Game of Thrones’ Ep. 5 'First of His Name' Recap: An Ode to the Women of Westeros
May 5, 2014
We were herded into a chilly waiting room waiting for the Britannia to be refueled.The New Fear of Flying After MH370
March 31, 2014
The short spring day was over, and the chilly night was setting in.
The rehearsals were so bad that Duquesnel and Chilly were in despair.
Chilly kept his word, and brought an action against me and the Comdie.
But I fear it may be chilly outside; and besides, where could I go in the middle of the night?The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
It was a chilly night, and the fire in the widow's parlour had burnt low.Barnaby Rudge
- causing or feeling cool or moderately cold
- without warmth; unfriendly
- (of people) sensitive to cold
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for chilly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper