- Ap·pi·us [ap-ee-uh s] /ˈæp i əs/, Appius Claudius Crassus, Roman decemvir and consul, 5th cent. b.c.
- 10 b.c.–a.d. 54, Roman emperor a.d. 41–54.
- Gothicus, a.d. 214–270, Roman emperor 268–270.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for claudius
It must be noted that in this category of non-writers there are at least three who are characters in the TV series I, Claudius.So-Called ‘Biblical Scholar’ Says Jesus A Made-Up Myth
Candida Moss, Joel Baden
October 5, 2014
Long before there was a Denmark, the Roman Emperor Claudius married his niece (and was poisoned).What’s in a Name? Writers and Their Anthroponymy
February 28, 2013
At the heart of the show, Jacobi is stellar as Claudius, who learns to play up his physical failings to mask his own intelligence.
I, Claudius celebrates the 35th anniversary of its U.S. broadcast this year.
The success of I, Claudius, both in terms of critical acclaim and commercial triumph, continues to spawn successors.
I won it from Claudius,—poor fool, how he trembled to tell me!
She had a vision of Claudius the physician brushing by her half-open door.
You know, Claudius, we have but one wish, and that is to please each other; so do you decide.
Claudius and I have just had one of our most desperate quarrels.
Uncle John means in the open air, Claudius; that will be delightful.
- full name Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus. 10 bc –54 ad, Roman emperor (41–54); invaded Britain (43); poisoned by his fourth wife, Agrippina
- full name Marcus Aurelius Claudius, called Gothicus. 214–270 ad, Roman emperor (268–270)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for claudius
masc. proper name, from the name of two Roman gentes, perhaps related to claudus "lame," which is of unknown origin. Related: Claudian.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper