The organ gallery gets a strong white light from a row of long windows in the clerestory, which have not even coloured glass.
The eleven windows in the clerestory above are all alike, divided only by flat buttresses.
The clerestory was built about 1200 by Peter, the third Prior.
The tracery of the windows in the clerestory is ascribed to Abbot Morwent, who rebuilt the west front.
The clerestory and roof of the chancel are the work of Bishop Goldwell.
All the arches of the choir and chapels are round, but those of the apse and clerestory are pointed.
The clerestory is Perpendicular, also the windows in the north aisle.
The clerestory has one window of four lights in each bay, with an eight-foil and two trefoils in the head.
There is no triforium, and the clerestory is somewhat contracted.
The upper row is the clerestory, containing many window lights.
early 15c., probably from clere "clear," in a sense "light, lighted" (see clear (adj.)), and story (n.2), though this sense of that word is not otherwise found so early. Originally the upper part of the nave, transepts, and choir of a large church; so called because pierced with windows. Related: Clerestorial.