- a return to a former higher rank, popularity, position, prosperity, etc.: The ex-champion kept trying to make a comeback.
- a clever or effective retort; rejoinder; riposte: That was a great comeback the comedian made to the hecklers.
- Informal. a basis or cause of complaint: If you insist on buying these pointed shoes, you'll have no comeback when your toes start to hurt.
Origin of comeback
First recorded in 1815–25; noun use of verb phrase come back
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for comeback
The Comeback was, without question, one of the year's best and funniest comedies.
We might have thought The Comeback was about a desperate actress's shameless struggle for fame.
If laughter is the best medicine, The Comeback made you feel enough pain to need a dose—and then it delivered in spades.
When you think about all of that, the success of this Comeback run is all the more impressive.
It's been nine years that fans of The Comeback have been clamoring for HBO to "give her another take."
While I turned to answer it, my mind was still hunting a comeback to this.The Million-Dollar Suitcase
As she's beamin' straight at me I has to give her some comeback.Torchy As A Pa
Angela gasped: "Oh, comeback, comeback, darling Miss Humf'ay!"Once Aboard The Lugger
Arthur Stuart-Menteth Hutchinson
Now, with every chance for a comeback, Nan wanted me to pass!The Scapegoat
I didn't have any comeback about that, for there was certainly some truth in what he says.Believe You Me!
Nina Wilcox Putnam
- a return to a former position, status, etc
- a return or response, esp recriminatory
- a quick reply; retort
- to return
- to become fashionable again
- to reply after a period of considerationI'll come back to you on that next week
- US and Canadian to argue back; retort
- come back to someone (of something forgotten) to return to someone's memory
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for comeback
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper