- a party or entertainment featuring the cooking and eating of a meal out of doors.
- the process of cooking and eating a meal outdoors.
- a meal cooked and eaten in the open.
- of, relating to, or intended for use or consumption at a cookout.
Origin of cookout
1945–50, Americanism; noun use of verb phrase cook out
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cookout
Here's what to bring, eat, and avoid at your next summer cookout.The 'Hungry Girl' Summer Diet
June 12, 2009
- US and Canadian a party where a meal is cooked and eaten out of doors
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for cookout
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper