- a river in SW Brazil. About 300 miles (485 km) long.
- a port in W Brazil, on the Cuiabá River.
[mah-too graw-soo; English mat-uh groh-soh]
- a plateau in SW Brazil.
- a state in SW Brazil. 475,378 sq. mi. (1,231,230 sq. km). Capital: Cuiabá.
Also Matto Grosso.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a port in W Brazil, capital of Mato Grosso state, on the Cuibá River. Pop: 777 000 (2005 est)
- a river in SW Brazil, rising on the Mato Grosso plateau and flowing southwest into the São Lourenço River. Length: 483 km (300 miles)
- a high plateau of SW Brazil: forms the watershed separating the Amazon and Plata river systems
- a state of W central Brazil: mostly on the Mato Grosso Plateau, with the Amazon basin to the north; valuable mineral resources. Capital: Cuiabá. Pop: 2 604 742 (2002). Area: 881 001 sq km (340 083 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012