- George,1837–1917, U.S. admiral: defeated Spanish fleet in Manila Bay during the Spanish-American War.
- John,1859–1952, U.S. philosopher and educator.
- Mel·vil [mel-vil] /ˈmɛl vɪl/, Melville Louis Kossuth Dewey, 1851–1931, U.S. educator, administrator, and innovator in the field of library science.
- Thomas E(dmund),1902–71, U.S. lawyer and political leader.
- a male given name, form of David.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for dewey
Dewey Square was hired to do the outreach to these communities by Global Strategies, another public affairs consulting firm.Sharks Are Circling Around Hillary
March 13, 2014
Meanwhile, the from-the-left insurgency of former Vice President Henry Wallace tipped New York to Dewey and the Republicans.
The New York law was intended to bite - and Dewey plainly intended to make his law an issue in the presidential election of 1948.
Like Dewey Defeats Truman, Fellow Travelers is a book set in the world of politics without being a political book.David's Book Club: Fellow Travelers
July 22, 2012
And in his self-retooling on immigration, Romney once again executed a perfect Dewey.Immigration Could Sink Mitt Romney Regardless of Supreme Court Rulings
June 26, 2012
Somebody told Mr. Dewey who was coming, and he was just ready to say, "Hallo, Tip!"
Mr. Dewey stood in the door of his market, looking up and down the street.
Looke earely and late, especially in a rainie or dewey euening or morning.A New Orchard And Garden
I noticed he hadn't called me 'Grace' nor 'Dewey' for a long spell.The Depot Master
Joseph C. Lincoln
Next to Dewey, he was easily the greatest figure in the parade.American Boy's Life of Theodore Roosevelt
- John. 1859–1952, US pragmatist philosopher and educator: an exponent of progressivism in education, he formulated an instrumentalist theory of learning through experience. His works include The School and Society (1899), Democracy and Education (1916), and Logic: the Theory of Inquiry (1938)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012