- the sound of a bell.
- any similar sound of repeated strokes.
- Slang. ding-a-ling.
- characterized by or resembling the sound of a bell.
- marked by rapid alternation of retaliatory action: a ding-dong struggle.
Origin of ding-dong
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the sound of a bell or bells, esp two bells tuned a fourth or fifth apart
- an imitation or representation of the sound of a bell
- a violent exchange of blows or words
- (as modifier)a ding-dong battle in the board room
- sounding or ringing repeatedly
C16: of imitative origin; see ding 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for ding dong
imitative of the sound of a bell, c.1560.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper