[dok-yuh-men-tey-shuh n, -muh n-]
- the use of documentary evidence.
- a furnishing with documents, as to substantiate a claim or the data in a book or article.
- Computers. manuals, listings, diagrams, and other hard- or soft-copy written and graphic materials that describe the use, operation, maintenance, or design of software or hardware: The documentation for the driver program is displayed on the screen.
Origin of documentation
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for documentation
But Tommy, like many others, has been unable to obtain the documentation required by the State Department for the visa.
The U.S. government should expedite their cases while showing some modicum of flexibility in reviewing their documentation.
Part of that lies in the paucity of documentation of what the Vikings actually did during their raids.
Or, the documentation we are left with was written centuries after the events, often in poetry, often wrong.
They call their style of documentation work “emergency cinema.”Syria’s Underground Film Club: Anonymous ‘Emergency Cinema,’ No Dead Bodies
June 29, 2014
First documentation I found was in the South Pacific air war in the '40s.A Fine Fix
R. C. Noll
Both (in the manner of their age) were extremely casual about documentation and acknowledgment.The Lives of the Most Famous English Poets (1687)
This is particularly true of American colonial history where the documentation often is extremely full.Contributions From the Museum of History and Technology
Ivor Noel Hume
The documentation of this work is far thinner than for the Thames Tunnel.
The teaching of Germany's poets, prophets, professors, and preachers; a documentation.Introduction to the Science of Sociology
Robert E. Park
- the act of supplying with or using documents or references
- the documents or references supplied
- the furnishing and use of documentary evidence, as in a court of law
- computing the written comments, graphical illustrations, flowcharts, manuals, etc, supplied with a program or software system
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for documentation
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper