- a city in and the capital of Alberta, in the central part, in SW Canada.
- a province in W Canada. 255,285 sq. mi. (661,190 sq. km). Capital: Edmonton. Abbreviation: Alba., Alta.
- a female given name, form of Albertine.
Examples from the Web for edmonton
This summer, two competing Canadian rape-awareness campaigns began popping up on posters across Edmonton and Vancouver.The Masculine Mystique
R. Tod Kelly
October 20, 2013
The Edmonton Oilers have a young squad that should be able to explode out of the gate.Week in Review: Cheat Sheet to the Week’s Big News (VIDEO)
January 11, 2013
On October 18, I'll deliver the annual Macdonald lecture at the University of Alberta law school in Edmonton, Alberta.
If timing allows, I'll plan a bar night in Edmonton that same evening.
In fact, Karen, the daughter of a park ranger, is from Edmonton.The Hush-Hush Engagement of Charles Spencer
March 12, 2011
But, as I was saying, those who came this route had to leave their boats at Edmonton.The Young Alaskans in the Rockies
Why did you go off to Edmonton for three whole days without kissing me good-by?The Prairie Mother
He was steward of the Edmonton Club and joined at the outbreak of the war.The Red Watch
J. A. Currie
And is it a year since we parted from you at the steps of Edmonton stage?Famous Houses and Literary Shrines of London
A. St. John Adcock
It was a whole summer's work to make the trip to Edmonton and return.
- a city in W Canada, capital of Alberta: oil industry. Pop: 782 101 (2001)
- a province of W Canada: mostly prairie, with the Rocky Mountains in the southwest Capital: Edmonton. Pop: 3 201 895 (2004 est). Area: 661 188 sq km (255 285 sq miles)Abbreviation: Alta, AB
Word Origin and History for edmonton
Canadian province, founded in 1882 and named for Princess Louise Caroline Alberta (1848-1939), fourth daughter of Queen Victoria, wife of the governor general, John Douglas Sutherland Campbell, Marquess of Lorne. She was named for her father, Prince Albert.