- of greatest fusibility: said of an alloy or mixture whose melting point is lower than that of any other alloy or mixture of the same ingredients.
- noting or pertaining to such a mixture or its properties: a eutectic melting point.
- a eutectic substance.
Origin of eutectic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for eutectic
From our curve we should expect a eutectic mixture with about 35 per cent.
When the eutectic point is reached, the temperature remains constant, until all the liquid has solidified.
The length of time during which the temperature remains constant at the point c, depends, of course, on the eutectic solution.
After this the temperature again falls, until it again remains constant at the eutectic point c.
If the initial composition of the magma is represented by a point between the two eutectic points, orthoclase will separate first.
- (of a mixture of substances, esp an alloy) having the lowest freezing point of all possible mixtures of the substances
- concerned with or suitable for the formation of eutectic mixtures
- a eutectic mixture
- the temperature on a phase diagram at which a eutectic mixture forms
C19: from Greek eutēktos melting readily, from eu- + tēkein to melt
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The proportion of constituents in an alloy or other mixture that yields the lowest possible complete melting point. In all other proportions, the mixture will not have a uniform melting point; some of the mixture will remain solid and some liquid. At the eutectic, the solidus and liquidus temperatures are the same.
- An alloy or other mixture with constituents in the proportions of the eutectic.
- The melting point of the eutectic.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.