- next after the forty-ninth; being the ordinal number for 50.
- being one of 50 equal parts.
- a fiftieth part, especially of one (1/50).
- the fiftieth member of a series.
Origin of fiftieth
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fiftieth
It was at the three hundred and fiftieth mile that Tom had another blow-out.Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout
On the 1st of October 1922, its birthday re-occurs for the fiftieth time.Bremen Cotton Exchange
Andreas Wilhelm Cramer
An old Spanish coin, equal to the fiftieth part of a mark of gold.
He wished, for the fiftieth time, that there were no poor relations.Keziah Coffin
Joseph C. Lincoln
After passing his fiftieth year an individual should abstain from venesection.Old-Time Makers of Medicine
James J. Walsh
- being the ordinal number of fifty in order, position, time, etc. Often written: 50th
- (as noun)the fiftieth in the series
- one of 50 equal or approximately equal parts of something
- (as modifier)a fiftieth part
- the fraction equal to one divided by 50 (1/50)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for fiftieth
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper