- a collection or system of formulas.
- a set form of words; formula.
- Pharmacology. a book listing pharmaceutical substances and formulas for making medicinal preparations.
- a list of prescription drugs covered by a health insurance plan: You can search the online drug formulary to see if your prescriptions are covered by the plan.
- Ecclesiastical. a book containing prescribed forms used in the service of a church.
Origin of formulary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for formulary
As for any formulary of religion, follow in that the fashion of your country—'
In the formulary of the Church of England, might not thirty-eight out of the thirty-nine be very well spared?Science and Education
Thomas H. Huxley
They were frequent enough to justify, in a Formulary of 1645, the insertion of a formula framed to meet them.A History of The Inquisition of Spain; vol. 2,
Henry Charles Lea
Democratic Socialism has, hitherto at least, adopted on its party programme no formulary of the normal working-day required by it.
This formulary may be considered specially successful and almost conclusive.
- a book or system of prescribed formulas, esp relating to religious procedure or doctrine
- a formula
- pharmacol a book containing a list of pharmaceutical products, with their formulas and means of preparation
- of, relating to, or of the nature of a formula
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for formulary
1540s, from French formulaire "collection of formulae," from Latin formularius from formula (see formula).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A book containing a list of pharmaceutical substances along with their formulas, uses, and methods of preparation.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.