- a county in S Connaught, in W Republic of Ireland. 2293 sq. mi. (5940 sq. km).
- its county seat: a seaport in the W part.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for galway
It was filmed in a real village, Cong [in the west of Ireland, straddling the borders of Counties Mayo and Galway].The Prodigious Roddy Doyle Is the Celtic Tiger of Irish Literature
March 17, 2014
On Oct. 21, the Indian-born woman went to Galway University Hospital with a back pain.When Pro-Life Means Death
November 16, 2012
Prince Harry could be coming to the Irish city of Galway later this year.Harry to Find a Galway Girl?
April 19, 2012
From the mean streets of Galway comes one of the darkest and most underrated Irish crime writers.Why You Should Read Ken Bruen the Master of Irish Noir
March 17, 2012
The mayor kept the thick walnut-clad television set in his office burning constantly, like a peet fire in a cottage in Galway.The Way the Wind Blows
December 21, 2008
Did you ask him would he stop Bartley going this day with the horses to the Galway fair?Riders to the Sea
J. M. Synge
"I haven't got a common ground with you people," he said to Marsh and Galway.
But the scheme has merit, and Galway and I are plotting to capture the movement from Griffiths.
"The minute they'd got us out of the way, they'd break their word," said Galway.
But wherever you go, you see nothing like the dirt of counties Galway and Mayo.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
- a county of W Republic of Ireland, in S Connacht, on Galway Bay and the Atlantic: it has a deeply indented coastline and many offshore islands, including the Aran Islands. County town: Galway. Pop: 209 077 (2002). Area: 5939 sq km (2293 sq miles)
- a port in W Republic of Ireland, county town of Co Galway, on Galway Bay: important fisheries (esp for salmon). Pop: 66 163 (2002)
- a breed of sheep with long wool, originally from W IrelandFormer name: Roscommon
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012