- a state in the SE United States. 58,876 sq. mi. (152,489 sq. km). Capital: Atlanta. Abbreviation: GA (for use with zip code), Ga.
- Also called Georgian Republic. a republic in Transcaucasia, bordering on the Black Sea, N of Turkey and Armenia: an independent kingdom for about 2000 years. 26,872 sq. mi. (69,700 sq. km). Capital: Tbilisi.
- Strait of, an inlet of the Pacific in SW Canada between Vancouver Island and the mainland. 150 miles (240 km) long.
- a female given name: George + feminine ending -a.
Examples from the Web for georgia
Last week, Robert Wayne Holsey of Georgia and Paul Goodwin of Missouri were executed within just a few hours of each other.How the U.S. Justice System Screws Prisoners with Disabilities
December 16, 2014
Vincent Fort, a state senator from Georgia, saw big differences between ALEC and SIX.The Left’s Answer to ALEC
December 15, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia, USA Atlanta is quickly becoming one of the most promising LGBT HQs on the globe.The Ultimate LGBT Travel Bucket List
December 12, 2014
He still held out hope in Georgia because changing demographics, particularly the influx of Latinos.Southern Dems Won’t Rise Again
December 5, 2014
“NATO bullied us in Georgia and now they are doing the same again here, and we have to stop them,” says Alan.East Ukraine: Back in the USSR
November 19, 2014
His country needed him—he was marching through Georgia for his country.Four Girls and a Compact
Annie Hamilton Donnell
Though Miller was dead, Whitney carried on the fight for his rights in Georgia.The Age of Invention
In Georgia the northern part is in possession of the whites, as are the Pine Flats.
Alabama has an average of 35 per square mile; Georgia, 37; South Carolina, 44.
This law is now in effect in every State, Georgia being the last to adopt it.
- a republic in NW Asia, on the Black Sea: an independent kingdom during the middle ages, it was divided by Turkey and Persia in 1555; became part of Russia in 1918 and a separate Soviet republic in 1936; its independence was recognized internationally in 1992. It is rich in minerals and has hydroelectric resources. Official language: Georgian. Religion: believers are mainly Christian or Muslim. Currency: lari. Capital: Tbilisi. Pop: 4 555 911 (2013 est). Area: 69 493 sq km (26 831 sq miles)
- a state of the southeastern US, on the Atlantic: consists of coastal plains with forests and swamps, rising to the Cumberland Plateau and the Appalachians in the northwest Capital: Atlanta. Pop: 8 684 715 (2003 est). Area: 152 489 sq km (58 876 sq miles)Abbreviation: Ga, (with zip code) GA
Word Origin and History for georgia
the U.S. state was named for King George II of Great Britain. The Caucasian nation is so-called for St. George, who is its patron saint (his cult there may continue that of a pre-Christian deity with whom he was later identified), but the name also is said to derive from Arabic or Persian Kurj, or Gurz (the form in the earliest sources), said to be a name of the native people, of unknown origin. In modern Georgia, the name of the country is Sakartvelo and the people's name is Kartveli.