- makeup, especially when thickly applied: She looks ridiculous with all that gook around her eyes.
Origin of gook1
- a contemptuous term used to refer to a native of Southeast Asia or the South Pacific, especially a member of an enemy military force.
- a contemptuous term used to refer to any dark-skinned foreigner, especially a non-European or non-American.
- anyone who is offensive to others because of stupidity, coarseness, etc.
Origin of gook2
- slang a derogatory word for a person from a Far Eastern country
- informal a messy sticky substance; muck
Word Origin and History for gook
1899, U.S. military slang for "Filipino" during the insurrection there, probably from a native word, or imitative of the babbling sound of their language to American ears (cf. barbarian). The term goo-goo eyes "soft, seductive eyes" was in vogue c.1900 and may have contributed to this somehow. Extended over time to "Nicaraguan," "any Pacific Islander" (World War II), "Korean" (1950s), "Vietnamese" and "any Asian" (1960s).