[noun ha-shoo r, hash-oo r; verb ha-shoo r]
- one of a series of short parallel lines drawn on a map to indicate topographic relief.
- shading composed of such lines.
- Also hatch. to indicate or shade by hachures.
Also hatch·ure [hach-er] /ˈhætʃ ər/.
Origin of hachure
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- hatchingSee hatch 3
- shading of short lines drawn on a relief map to indicate gradients
- (tr) to mark or show by hachures
C19: from French, from hacher to chop up, hatch ³
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012