- to half the distance; to midpoint: The rope reaches only halfway.
- almost; nearly; just about: He halfway surrendered to their demands.
- midway, as between two places or points.
- going to or covering only half or part of the full extent: halfway measures.
- meet halfway, to compromise with; give in partially to: They didn't comply with all our demands, but met us halfway on the more important points.
Origin of halfway
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for halfway
I meet Otis J. the night he arrives at “The Castle,” a West Harlem halfway house for newly-released convicts.His First Day Out Of Jail After 40 Years: Adjusting To Life Outside
January 3, 2015
Halfway through his second term, Johnson has enjoyed a charmed life.Boris Johnson’s Churchill Man Crush
Michael F. Bishop
November 22, 2014
Halfway to the park, the hustle of Goma and outlying villages faded behind him.A Belgian Prince, Gorillas, Guerrillas & the Future of the Congo
November 6, 2014
Halfway through the game, I was fighting an enormous manta ray sort of thing while on my way to Hell.Bayonetta Is Nintendo’s Graphic, Ass-Kicking Barbie
October 24, 2014
But my vote sort of drifted to Zack halfway through the series.Nigel Lythgoe on How to Save Reality TV, ‘On the Town,’ and ‘Brokeback Ballroom’
October 22, 2014
He was not halfway around the house before he heard a voice that chilled him with horror.Way of the Lawless
Halfway to the trolley line, the dog turned off into a by-road.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
When I was halfway there I caught sight of him staring at the placard.
"I think I'll get down here," said Renmark, halfway between the two houses.In the Midst of Alarms
Halfway up the stretch Allis was riding stirrup to stirrup with her father.Thoroughbreds
W. A. Fraser
- at or to half the distance; at or to the middle
- in or of an incomplete manner or nature
- meet halfway to compromise with
Word Origin and History for halfway
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with halfway
see go halfway.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.