- a stone forming a hearth.
- home; fireside; hearth.
- a soft stone, or a preparation of powdered stone and clay, used to whiten or scour hearths, steps, floors, etc.
Origin of hearthstone
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hearthstone
They found her afterwards by her own hearthstone, thrust through by a Frenchman's bill.The White Company
Arthur Conan Doyle
She might have been stone deaf, and as dumb as the hearthstone bricks.Meadow Grass
Cold was the hearthstone now, and the place was forsaken and empty.Poems
William D. Howells
Her father, who had been on the sea all night, dozed in his big chair on the hearthstone.A Singer from the Sea
Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr
No more than I'd say it was squatting to sit down on my own hearthstone.Luttrell Of Arran
Charles James Lever
- a stone that forms a hearth
- a less common word for hearth (def. 1)
- soft stone used to clean and whiten floors, steps, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012