- a representative of one sovereign member of the Commonwealth of Nations in the country of another, having a rank and responsibilities generally similar to those of an ambassador.
- the chief of a special international commission or other organization.
- the head of government in a mandate, protectorate, possession, or the like.
Origin of high commissioner
First recorded in 1880–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the senior diplomatic representative sent by one Commonwealth country to another instead of an ambassador
- the head of an international commission
- the chief officer in a colony or other dependency
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012