- to emphasize or make prominent.
- to create highlights in (a photograph or engraving).
- Also high light. an important, conspicuous, memorable, or enjoyable event, scene, part, or the like: the highlight of his talk; the highlight of the concert series.
- the area of most intense light on a represented form, as in a painting or photograph.
Origin of highlight
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. stress, accent, underline, feature.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for highlighted
Time and again, he has highlighted my scholarship and I have never felt that he has short-changed me.Can Fareed Zakaria Survive A Plagiarism Firestorm?
November 12, 2014
Instead, they highlighted Stewart's discussion of her character's motivation.The Right-Wing Crusade Against KStew: How Fear Factories Like Breitbart and Fox Distort News
October 16, 2014
So why not test the waters with a potential partner by hinting at something currently highlighted in the mainstream media?The ‘Back Door’ Is Having Its Pop Culture Moment
September 27, 2014
Fifty-five-year-old Svetlana also was worried about the threat of violence but highlighted economic worries as deciding her vote.Putin’s People Stage Their Bogus Vote
May 11, 2014
The Department of Defense highlighted March as the first month without any U.S. combat deaths in Afghanistan.How the Dead Come Home From Afghanistan
May 9, 2014
Typographical problems have been changed and these are highlighted.The Book of Khalid
Every magnificent curve was highlighted in a frozen tableau.Pagan Passions
Gordon Randall Garrett
Typographical inconsistencies have been changed and are highlighted.Legends & Romances of Brittany
Typographical problems have been changed, and these are highlighted.How to Appreciate Music
Typographical errors were corrected, and these are highlighted.Studies in Contemporary Biography
James Bryce, Viscount Bryce
- an area of the lightest tone in a painting, drawing, photograph, etc
- the most exciting or memorable part of an event or period of time
- (often plural) a bleached blond streak in the hair
- painting drawing photog to mark (any brightly illuminated or prominent part of a form or figure) with light tone
- to bring notice or emphasis to
- to be the highlight of
- to produce blond streaks in (the hair) by bleaching
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for highlighted
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper