- to emphasize or make prominent.
- to create highlights in (a photograph or engraving).
- Also high light. an important, conspicuous, memorable, or enjoyable event, scene, part, or the like: the highlight of his talk; the highlight of the concert series.
- the area of most intense light on a represented form, as in a painting or photograph.
Origin of highlight
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. stress, accent, underline, feature.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for highlighting
But how exacerbating anarchy in Libya and highlighting the power of the gun over politics serves U.S. interests remains unclear.An Ex-CIA Recruit Adds to Libyan Chaos
May 19, 2014
News of doctor and nurse drug overdoses hit the press this week, highlighting an ongoing (and growing) problem.The Secret World of Drug-Addict Doctors
April 24, 2014
On Monday, he personally thanked Edward Snowden for highlighting some of the abuses made possible by his invention.World Wide Web Turns 25
March 12, 2014
In the meantime, Obama should be highlighting mobility nonstop from here to 2017.Obama and Inequality (and Clinton): A Long-Term Project
December 4, 2013
But surely the most damaging is that it reduces the power of highlighting true acts of hateful racism.The Government Shutdown Isn’t Racist
October 8, 2013
There's highlighting and emphasizing selected perceptics and such.The Premiere
And it took some highlighting and sidelighting with the use of a spotlight to actually make those things discernible at all.Warren Commission (4 of 26): Hearings Vol. IV (of 15)
The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
- an area of the lightest tone in a painting, drawing, photograph, etc
- the most exciting or memorable part of an event or period of time
- (often plural) a bleached blond streak in the hair
- painting drawing photog to mark (any brightly illuminated or prominent part of a form or figure) with light tone
- to bring notice or emphasis to
- to be the highlight of
- to produce blond streaks in (the hair) by bleaching
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for highlighting
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper