[ hahy-lahy-ter ]
/ ˈhaɪˌlaɪ tər /


a cosmetic used to emphasize some part of the face, as the eyes or the cheekbones.
a felt-tip pen with a wide nib for highlighting passages of printed material in a soft, transparent color.


Can You Ace This Quiz About “Compliment” vs. “Complement”?
Take this quiz to see if you really know the difference between “compliment” and “complement"!
Question 1 of 11
“Compliment” and “complement” had a shared meaning a long time ago, but today they are no longer interchangeable.

Origin of highlighter

First recorded in 1965–70; highlight + -er1
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020

Example sentences from the Web for highlighter

British Dictionary definitions for highlighter

/ (ˈhaɪˌlaɪtə) /


a cosmetic cream or powder applied to the face to highlight the cheekbones, eyes, etc
a fluorescent felt-tip pen used as a marker to emphasize a section of text without obscuring it
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012