- to emphasize or make prominent.
- to create highlights in (a photograph or engraving).
- Also high light. an important, conspicuous, memorable, or enjoyable event, scene, part, or the like: the highlight of his talk; the highlight of the concert series.
- the area of most intense light on a represented form, as in a painting or photograph.
Origin of highlight
Synonyms for highlightSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for highlight
Contemporary Examples of highlight
Their confrontation at dinner was, without a doubt, the highlight of the episode.‘Downton Abbey’ Review: A Fire, Some Sex, and Sad, Sad Edith
January 5, 2015
He is my favorite Woodstock artist, the highlight of the entire festival.The Greatest Rock Voice of All Time Belonged to Joe Cocker
December 23, 2014
Art is something that has been a highlight at The Center since its first group show—“The Center Show”—in 1989.The LGBT Center That Changed Our Lives
December 22, 2014
It can be really good if somebody is an amazing talent right off the bat or it can highlight your flaws.Inside ‘The Sex Factor’: Where 16 Men and Women Vie For Porn Immortality
November 22, 2014
The documents also highlight the apparent complicity by secular law enforcement in keeping some of these offenders out of jail.How Sicko Priests Got Away With It
Barbie Latza Nadeau
November 16, 2014
Historical Examples of highlight
The newsroom posted this cartoon each Sunday and It was the highlight of the day.The Biography of a Rabbit
They were matters which the Chief Inspector did not highlight; evidently he did not regard them as of major importance.Judgments of the Court of Appeal of New Zealand on Proceedings to Review Aspects of the Report of the Royal Commission of Inquiry into the Mount Erebus Aircraft Disaster
Sir Owen Woodhouse, R. B. Cooke, Ivor L. M. Richardson, Duncan Wallace McMullin, and Sir Edward Somers
There has been a highlight added along the bottom of the gun just forward of the trigger guard and just below Oswald's left hand.
There is a highlight along the top of the rifle between Oswald's left hand and the point where the rifle passes his left shoulder.
On Shaneyfelt Exhibit No. 1, the highlight does not denote the top of the weapon.
- an area of the lightest tone in a painting, drawing, photograph, etc
- the most exciting or memorable part of an event or period of time
- (often plural) a bleached blond streak in the hair
- painting drawing photog to mark (any brightly illuminated or prominent part of a form or figure) with light tone
- to bring notice or emphasis to
- to be the highlight of
- to produce blond streaks in (the hair) by bleaching