- a seaport in and the capital of Hawaii, on S Oahu.
- a state of the United States comprising the N Pacific islands of Hawaii, Kahoolawe, Kauai, Lanai, Maui, Molokai, Niihau, and Oahu: a U.S. territory 1900–59; admitted to the Union 1959. 6424 sq. mi. (16,715 sq. km). Capital: Honolulu. Abbreviation: HI (for use with zip code), Haw.
- the largest island of Hawaii, in the SE part. 4021 sq. mi. (10,415 sq. km).
Examples from the Web for honolulu
There were cases in Honolulu, Salt Lake City, Washington, D.C., and Miami.Ebola Panic Is Worse Than the Disease
October 9, 2014
Anthony says that even a flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu may at times be outside of the scope of radar.Flight 370 And Our Unsolved Mystery Obsession
March 13, 2014
The 747 was badly crippled but the pilots were able to get it back to Honolulu on the power of the two left engines.Why Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 Must Have Died Instantaneously
March 11, 2014
Yet not long after our departure, Kim was threatening Seoul like old times and aiming new missiles at Honolulu.North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un’s Game of Thrones
December 15, 2013
“[Hart is] trying to create any type of an issue that the thinks might help him at trial,” Green told the Honolulu Civil Beat.State Department Murder Suspect Chris Deedy Was a Benghazi Security Agent
July 18, 2013
The other steamers touch at Honolulu and go on to the Australian colonies.The Hawaiian Islands
The Department of Foreign Affairs
When you worked on the cruiser 'Honolulu' you handled blueprints?
When the cruiser "Honolulu" made its trial run in the spring of 1938, Boldt was on board.
Nuuanu (Nu'u--nu) a valley back of Honolulu that leads to the "Pali."Unwritten Literature of Hawaii
Nathaniel Bright Emerson
The Geier entered Honolulu on Oct. 15 in an unseaworthy condition.Current History, A Monthly Magazine
New York Times
- a port in Hawaii, on S Oahu island: the state capital. Pop: 380 149 (2003 est)
- a state of the US in the central Pacific, consisting of over 20 volcanic islands and atolls, including Hawaii, Maui, Oahu, Kauai, and Molokai: discovered by Captain Cook in 1778; annexed by the US in 1898; naval base at Pearl Harbor attacked by the Japanese in 1941, a major cause of US entry into World War II; became a state in 1959. Capital: Honolulu. Pop: 1 257 608 (2003 est). Area: 16 640 sq km (6425 sq miles)Former name: Sandwich Islands Abbreviation: Ha, (with zip code) HI
Word Origin and History for honolulu
chief city of Hawaii, from Hawaiian hono "port" + lulu "calm."
from Hawaiian Hawai'i, from Proto-Polynesian *hawaiki. Said to mean "Place of the Gods" and be a reference to Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. See also sandwich. Related: Hawaiian (1825). First record of Hawaiian shirt is from 1955.
Capital of Hawaii and largest city in the state, located on the island of Oahu.