- a bottomless, boxlike, usually glass-covered structure and the bed of earth it covers, heated typically by fermenting manure or electrical cables, for growing plants out of season.
- a place or environment favoring rapid growth or spread, especially of something disliked or unwanted: a hotbed of disease.
- Slang. a bed shared by two or more persons in shifts, each sleeping in it for or at a designated time and then vacating it for the next occupant.
- Slang. to share a bed in shifts, so that it is always occupied.
Origin of hotbed
Examples from the Web for hotbed
Baseball has long been the most popular sport in Cuba and the island has long been a hotbed of baseball talent.Is Major League Baseball Ready For Cuba’s Players?
December 19, 2014
In the early 1960s Cambridge University was a hotbed of cultural and social insurrection.Why Can’t Movies Capture Genius?
December 14, 2014
It is also overwhelmingly pro-regime, and since the start of Syrian unrest the region has become a hotbed of pro-Assad activity.Welcome to Assadville, USA
November 11, 2014
The Gorge has always been a hotbed of radicalism and arms smuggling, but now it is fast becoming a shahid factory.The Secret Life of an ISIS Warlord
Will Cathcart, Vazha Tavberidze, Nino Burchuladze
October 27, 2014
Ipanema has long been the hotbed of beach apparel, launching looks like the tanga and the g-string.The Girl From Ipanema Is Not Alone: Rio’s Famous Beach Is A Rich, Cultural Kaleidoscope
June 23, 2014
Sects were springing up all over England as weeds in a hotbed.Bunyan
James Anthony Froude
If there is no greenhouse, a hotbed is an important help in the garden.Agriculture for Beginners
Charles William Burkett
Industry—and the engineer is the backbone of industry—is a hotbed of competition.Opportunities in Engineering
Charles M. Horton
It is a hotbed of heathen enthusiasm and of blinded devotion.A Tour of the Missions
Augustus Hopkins Strong
A corrupt, unregenerate heart, which is a hotbed and nursery of the devil.Sanctification
J. W. Byers
- a glass-covered bed of soil, usually heated by fermenting material, used for propagating plants, forcing early vegetables, etc
- a place offering ideal conditions for the growth of an idea, activity, etc, esp one considered bada hotbed of insurrection